Clifton Hill Property was developed by Nic Owen Architects in 2011.
It is situated in Clifton Hill, Victoria, Australia, and covers an area of 2100 square feet.
Clifton Hill Residence by Nic Owen Architects:
“A innovative mixture of an inner city Victorian cottage of heritage significance with modern style and sustainable constructing practice is the consequence of a productive collaboration between client, architect and builder.
The short aimed to protect and restore the rundown Victorian to its former glory while producing a contemporary addition that inspired a creative existence for a 21st Century family.
Architecture is about developing and making spaces for individuals to dwell an enhanced aesthetic life. This is completed by means of an productive and functional arrangement of room and utilities while encouraging an expressive and inventive way of life. The principal objective with the Clifton Hill Home was to generate a property that both shelters and enhances the daily residing of the consumers for now and generations to come.
The primary function of offering shelter to a family of 4 that embraces and respects the environment whilst safeguarding and sheltering the clientele from the harsh elements has resulted in a creating that can honestly get in touch with itself “green”. The property has been designed to efficiently use beneficial assets such as water and energy by employing the following strategies
– A twenty,000 underground water tank has been installed to allow for water catchment which is used for gardening, laundry and toilet flushing
– Solar heat minimization by way of static & retractable sun canopies
– Paint – “Cool Colour” paint technological innovation by “Resene” employed to reflect the suns heat
– Renewable timber
– Large rated insulation
The Clifton Hill home is a very good instance of sustainable layout as it has
– Diminished operating costs by growing productivity and utilizing less energy and water,
– Improved client way of life due to improved indoor air good quality via cross-ventilation
– Reduced environmental impacts by, for example, lessening storm water runoff and the solar heat achieve.
– Partnership of developed kind to context
The timber Victorian cottage is sited on a corner block with a north dealing with backyard. The internet site is in a heritage overlay which protects the original cottage. The alterations and additions have aimed to respect and protect the unique building although producing a contemporary piece of architecture that enhances the historically considerable cottage.
This has been done by:
– Retaining the original Victorian aspects of the 2 front rooms and roof line and reinstating period functions as needed
– Making a standard secure type at the rear of the cottage in a modern manner
– Plainly distinguishing between the authentic and “new” addition with contrasting forms, colors and resources internally and externally.
The timeless modern day extension is rooted in practicality with the consumer enjoying an uplifting and inspiring new atmosphere which incorporates a lengthy list of value saving functions within the total design and style.
The effective collaboration between the client, architect and builder has resulted in a undertaking that is a supply of pleasure for the client and pride for the 2 the builder and architect. The architects passionate vision and drive all through the undertaking has resulted in a building that marries artistic design and style with function, satisfying the client’s quick and the architect’s inventive dreams.”First Level
- Initial Degree
- Second Degree
- Internet site Program
Photographs by: Rhiannon Slatter