Placing kind on wilderness is a radical act. The challenge was to design a home in a single of the most magnificent all-natural settings on the Pacific Coast that would both respect and transform the land.
I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It created the slovenly wilderness
Surround that hill.
The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled close to, no longer wild.
The jar was round on the ground
And tall and of a port in air.
It took dominion each and every the place.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,
Like practically nothing else in Tennessee.
—Wallace Stevens, “Anecdote of the Jar”
This 3-bedroom residence, on Huge Sur’s magnificent south coast, is anchored in the all-natural beauty and electrical power of this California landscape. Our style approach embeds the building inside of the land, generating a framework inseparable from its context. The website offers dramatic views: a 250-foot drop to the Pacific Ocean the 2 along the bluff and the western exposure. Yet it demands a form much more complex than a giant image window.
The prolonged, thin volume conforms and deforms to the all-natural contours of the land and the geometries of the bluff, much like the banana slug native to the region’s seaside forests. In this way, the complex structural program applies and defies normal varieties to accommodate the siting. The home is cantilevered 12 feet back from the bluff, each to protect the cliff’s delicate ecosystem and to guarantee the structure’s integrity and security. The interior is a shelter, a refuge in contrast with the roughness and immense scale of the ocean and cliff. The property also shields the southern outside spaces from the effective winds that blow from the northwest.
The primary body of the home is composed of 2 rectangular boxes linked by an all-glass library/den. The primary entry is positioned at the top of the upper volume with the living spaces unfolding from the most public to the most personal. The living space kitchen and dining area are an open program with subtle adjustments in levels and roof planes to differentiate the numerous functions. The decrease volume, a double-cantilevered master bedroom suite, acts as a promontory above the ocean, giving breath-taking views from its floor-to-ceiling windows. The link between these 2 volumes is the glass library/den it is the hearth of the property, a space that unites the residence within and out the 2 with its geometry and its transparency.
A one particular-story concrete wing perpendicular to the home contains a ground-floor bedroom, building providers and a green roof it is the boulder locking the house to the land.
The residence has 2 primary facades, the south a single is clad in copper which wraps up the wall and above on the roof. Copper clad roof overhangs shield windows and the front door from the sun and the wind of the ocean. The façade to the north is made all glass clear expanses of glass open the residence to the see
Sustainable Design Approaches:
– Normal daylight in all rooms like bathrooms is tailored to solar orientation and minimizes electrical power loads from artificial lighting. Primary daylight is indirect and comes from the north even though southern light constrained and mitigated by automated shading method
– Low E, solar handle glazing is insulated and set into a thermally broken custom steel frame. This high performance glazing decreases solar obtain, improves winter comfort, and delivers superior thermal performance with no sacrificing views.
– Radiant hydronic heat eliminates duc2rk and permits lower operating temperatures and higher occupant comfort amounts. Energy utilization is considerably reduce and a lot more productive than traditional forced air techniques.
– Stack ventilation is naturally facilitated by the building layout. The open floor plan is connected on multiple amounts from the reduced master bedroom suite to the entry at a greater elevation. Immediately managed operable glazing at the lowest degree is coordinated with an exhaust transfer grille at the highest elevation. The pressure and height differential permits the exhaustion of sizzling air and intake of awesome fresh air.
– Drought resistant and native vegetation is specifically intended minimize soil erosion and facilitates new habitats for regional wildlife. A vegetated roof lowers the aerial visual footprint of the constructing and provides extra thermal mass / insulation for the occupied room beneath.
– On-web site wastewater therapy via a septic technique paired with productive plumbing fixtures decreases loads to municipal sewer techniques and differentiates black and grey water. Conversely, fresh water is garnered from an on-site stream that is also not dependent on municipal methods.
– Lower VOC & sustainable finishes were principal considerations to make sure the highest interior air quality and accountable use of finish components. The interior paint and other interior finishes are all minimal VOC. Wall and ceiling insulation is formaldehyde free denim.
Style: Fougeron Architecture
Structural Engineer: Endres Ware Architects Engineers
Landscape Architect: Blasen Landscape Architects
Civil/ Geotechnical Engineer: Grice Engineering and Geology, Inc.